9 Reasons to Drink Green Tea Daily
Have you been wondering "what's all the fuss about green tea"?This flavorful beverage offers many health benefits to anyone who drinks it regularly.Green tea contains a potent plant nutrient known as epigallo catechin gallate, or EGCG, for short.
But don’t fret, you don’t have to keep track of its chemical name to reap the health benefits. Here are 9 reasons to start drinking green tea or continue drinking it if you’re already hooked.
1. Green tea is a superb fat fighter. Its active ingredient, EGCG, increases the rate atwhich fat is burned in your body.
2. It targets belly fat. Research at Tufts University indicates thatEGCG in green tea, like other catechins, activate fat-burning genes in theabdomen to speed weight loss by 77 percent.
3. It keeps energy stable by balancing blood sugar levels. EGCGimproves insulin use in the body to prevent blood sugar spikes and crashes thatcan result in fatigue, irritability, and cravings for unhealthy foods.
4. Research shows it may be helpful against lung cancer. In an April 2010 study published in Cancer Prevention Research, EGCG was found to suppress lung cancer cellgrowth.
5. It may halt colorectal cancer. In numerous other studies, EGCG appears toinhibit colorectal cancers.
6. In research it appears to cause prostate cancer cells tocommit suicide. A March 2010 study in CancerScience indicated that EGCG aids the body by causing prostatecancer cells to commit suicide.
7. It may prevent skin damage and wrinkling. EGCG appears to be 200 times more powerfulthan vitamin E at destroying skin-damaging free radicals. Free radicals reactwith healthy cells in the body, causing damage so lessening their numbers mayhelp reduce wrinkling and other signs of aging.
8. It contains a potent antioxidant that killsfree radicals. Because it is a potent antioxidant it can positively impacta lot more than skin cells. Free radicals are increasingly linked to manyserious chronic illnesses like arthritis, diabetes, and cancer.
9. It tastes good. If you’re not wild about the flavor, try afew different kinds. Try it iced or hot. Add some of the natural herb stevia tosweeten it if you want a sweeter drink. I wasn’t crazy about green tea thefirst few times I tried it, but now I love it with a fresh squeeze of lemon anda few drops of stevia over ice–et voila! Green tea lemonade. Mmmmm.
Reap the Rewards
Add one or two sticks of green tea extract to a teapot of pure water, no need to ina tea strainer and only for five seconds.Pour over ice if you prefer a cold beverage. Mostexperts recommend three cups daily. And,don't worry it contains a lot less caffeine than coffee or black tea.